Major Export Countries
- World bauxite export trade is growing. In 2011, the total export volume of the countries listed was 68.83 million tonnes, up by 85% over that of 2006.
- Indonesia is the standout country.Its exports have leapt from only 7 million tonnes in 2006 to over 40 million tonnes in 2011. This situation could change rapidly however as the Indonesian government intends to introduce a ban on raw materials exports commencing 2014. The exports from other counties are relatively stable.
Major Import Countries
- China is the largest aluminium consuming and bauxite importing country in the world.
- In 2011, China’s aluminium consumption reached 17.629 million tonnes, accounting for over 40% of world’s total; followed by the USA (9.6% of world’s total).
- Commensurate with its increased consumption of aluminium, China’s bauxite imports have increased 5 fold in the period 2006-2011. In 2011 China accounted for 60% of all bauxite imports.
World Bauxite Trade – Major Flows
Source: USGS; CMGroup; http://images.mofcom.gov.cn/wms